Familiarity requires usageIn order to become familiar with the new sounds, and to learn how to handle the hearing aid, you will need to use the hearing aid on a regular basis. From time to time, some hearing aid users find themselves considering giving up their hearing aids because they have not gotten used to them. If this ever happens to you, keep in mind that the millions of hearing aid users around the world testify that the benefits are worth the effort.
Recommendations for first-time hearing aid use:
- Start slowly by only wearing your hearing aid for short periods of time. For example one or two hours a day.
- In the beginning, use the hearing aid in situations with few people and little noise.
- Gradually you can start using the hearing aid for longer periods of time and in noisier environments.
- Allow yourself a couple of breaks during the day.
- If your ears get sore, contact your hearing care specialist. He or she can help you to find the reason.
- Allow yourself the time needed to get used to the new sounds and the new sensation in your ears.